Sunday, July 26, 2009

Impressions from the Operation Hungry Picnic

Dave McGhee – July 26, 2009

Yesterday was a wonderful day for a picnic! It was sunny, warm (almost hot) with a slight breeze, and low humidity. This was my first time attending either of Operation Hungry’s yearly events; the Christmas banquet, often held at Faith Presbyterian Church, or the summer picnic, this year held at Brahan Springs Park. I thought I’d put down a few beginner’s impressions.

There were a lot of very nice people there!

First there were the folks from the churches that were helping. St Bartley’s Church was the organizer this year. At the opening prayer there were maybe 5-8 churches recognized as being there. Frank, Charlotte, Doug, and I were there from Faith. We were the minority group. All of the folks were very friendly and had a heart for doing this ministry. It was very well run. If I had to guess, I’d say there were about 25-30 folks from the supporting churches. I’d also say that most of these churches already had some relationship with the hungry that were served.

Of course, there were also the hungry of Huntsville. I’d say there were about 50 folks. I’m not a “mingler” by nature. Frank and Charlotte did most of that from our team. But here are my impressions of those that attended. Now let’s just throw away the stereotype “homeless” images. These were clean, friendly people. They were probably more integrated than the church folk there to serve. Everyone was polite. Several had children. One gentleman had children and a Grandmother; he looked very weary. There were a number of folks that came later as things were wrapping up and I imagine at least some of them were getting off work from jobs they had Saturday morning. It sounds cliché, but honestly they could have been you or I, but by the grace of God! They had there own network, obviously many acquaintances among them. There was lots of conversation and greetings that flew across the group. Yet I could make out very little of it? It was like a different language?

The food was great! One of the churches had a professional smoker/grill going, cooking some great chicken. There was some very good coleslaw there too! There were baked beans, hot dogs, bread, chips, packaged deserts, drinks, and water. Faith was in charge of watermelon. Pat and Frank had worked out a deal with Kroger for a reduced cost on 20 or so watermelons and ice. The Kroger manager (on Drake) said “no charge”! But that was not until he asked Frank to see the check. So “good faith” money has a meaning for charity work as well. Any leftovers were being taken to “Pathfinders”. Frank tells me that is a program that is basically a “3/4” way house for folks on their last steps of recovery and reentry into the world.

So, I would heartily recommend participation in these efforts! I would say this is probably more of a case where Faith can send a team of folks and/or dollars to support the churches that are really active in ministry to the hungry and homeless. We just don’t have the relationships in place to minister directly to them. I would say it is a very safe environment for older elementary and definitely youth to participate in.

Agape!

No comments:

Post a Comment